Thursday, September 28, 2006

I used to go up for summer vacations for a week at a time to stay with my paternal grandparents. This is in the late 70's, maybe early 80's. I remember wiffle ball in the backyard with my grandfather, games of Uno with Grandma, trips to the Indianapolis Children's Museum and Conner Prairie. I also remember every late morning sitting down to watch The Price Is Right.

Does it amaze anyone else that Bob Barker is still around doing this after 35 years? He's on his third announcer, for the love! Johnny Olson was the first, Rod Roddy after him, haven't the faintest on this "new" guy.

Brilliant concept, actually. It's one giant long commercial combined with 70 some odd games that they rotate through. Phrases like "c'mon down," "spin the wheel," and "showcase showdown"...you say it, everyone can identify the show. I can't begin to imagine the money that this show has generated for the network over three and a half decades. The man is truly an institution and I wonder when he decides to hang it up, who in the world will they replace him with? Will the show even go on?

For many, of course, Bob Barker has an even greater claim to fame.

1 Comments:

Blogger PHSChemGuy said...

The man's a fossil...I'd always heard the rumor that when his microphone finally died, CBS couldn't find a new one, so they wired an old one in the original casing...

can't find interweb proof, though, so it must not have happened...

but, let's just remember that Bob Rules...

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home