Tuesday, September 12, 2006


I'm not taking any political stands here. I'm a registered Republican but I like to think of myself as someone who tries to look over all the evidence leading up to the elections before I start pulling levers/pushing buttons/making sure my chads aren't hanging.

However, I have to at least mention the Mike Sodrel campaign going on in the Indiana 9th District, a showdown with his predecessor in the U.S. House of Representatives, Democrat Baron Hill. They've had close races in the previous two elections (separated by just 1500 votes last time) and this one is shaping up to be a barn-burner again.
I'm very interested in the race because a former fraternity brother and groomsman in my wedding, Cam Savage, is serving as Sodrel's chief of staff and is currently back in New Albany orchestrating the re-election campaign. He's got a background working with Richard Lugar and Todd Rokita in Indiana and has worked some really tight races in the past...I know his competitive juices are flowing as we hit the homestretch here. With Republican majority in the House at stake, this race is going to get a lot more national attention than usual and is shaping up to be more contentious the further along we go.

If I'm going to make any comment about the election other than supporting a good friend, it would be for everyone to get out and vote come Election Day. It was a great turnout in 2004 and we all need to take on some civic responsibility. And if you're in Chicago, vote often!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home